[78-L] Mosquito hearing test thingy (was Re: A doubt about EQ curves)

bradc944 at comcast.net bradc944 at comcast.net
Mon Oct 17 12:18:40 PDT 2011

I ran the test thru my Advent Large speakers as well as a pair of ESS Tempests with the Heil-motion transformers for high end. The Advents fell off at 14k, and came back at 15k. The Tempests reproduced all the way up to 18k.

I DID notice that thru the Advents that I 'heard' 16k but was a harmonic! On the ESS Tempests, I discerned up to 18k (no foolin!), but had to remove a couple of noise annoyances in the studio. Note that 'discerned' does not mean 'I heard the tone', it means 'I know the tone was there because I felt a very high-pitched vibration somewhere in the physio-mechanical human audio reproduction system'.

Still, for a 53 year old, apparently I have a decent set of hearing reproducers... not bad for someone that has worked on stage and in a communications receiving station trying to pull a signal out of static that was pumped up way too loud.

Brad