[78-L] A doubt about EQ curves

Jeff Lichtman jeff at swazoo.com
Sat Oct 15 14:39:53 PDT 2011

>Another way of cleaning out the ears is called ear candling. I've never
>done it myself or even witnessed it. Haven't looked on youtube either
>
>joe salerno

This doesn't work and is dangerous. Ear candling works by putting a
special candle into one's ear with a string hanging down into the ear
canal. When the candle burns it supposedly melts the earwax which the
string then soaks up. When you pull the string out of your ear there
will be a yellow waxy substance on it, which the proponents like to
use as evidence that the candling works to remove earwax. However,
you'll get the same waxy substance on the string if you burn the
candle without putting it in your ear. In other words, the yellow
waxy stuff comes from the candle, not from your ear.

It's best not to put burning objects in your ear. One safe way to
remove earwax it to squirt warm water into the ear canal using a
syringe. If you do this repeatedly for 10 to 20 minutes the wax will
loosen and come out. You can accelerate the process by putting some
carbamide peroxide in the ear to soften and loosen the wax.

Loss of hearing in the high frequencies happens to almost everyone,
but you can minimize it by limiting exposure to loud noises.

                        -        Jeff Lichtman
                                 jeff at swazoo.com
                                 http://swazoo.com/