[78-L] What's an ERPI?

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Thu Oct 13 19:48:58 PDT 2011

The ERPI discs are in fact National Council of Teachers of English. I don't
know if these predate the ten-inch red label discs, some of which I believe
were dubbed from pregrooved aluminums. The ERPIs are very good quality, sound
first generation..no tell-tale background noise as if from film or 33rpm
lacquers. They're in a series called Contemporary Poets and are numbers 7-14
(I'm missing sides 9 & 10). For what it's worth, the one Gertrude Stein disc I
have is on the same label and in the same series, numbers 3 & 4. The Caedmon lp
had 6 tracks so Stein could be on numbers 1/2 and 5/6, with Frost following.
(And no, the Gertrude Stein sides don't have the same type of matrix numbers,
although they still look as if they could have been cut by the same studio.)

dl