[78-L] Armed Forces Records, was Three Little Messerschmitts

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Oct 11 08:45:36 PDT 2011

neechevoneeznayou at gmail.com wrote:
>>> If you look at>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejs4Of5nZXg
>>> you will see an "Armed Forces Records" label scan. This is
>>> an entirely> new label to me. It is not a V-Disc or a Red White and Blue record.
>>> It is also 33& a third rpm. Duration apx. 8.5 minnits. What's the deal on this?
>>> Is it somehow related to the RW&B series? (my> understanding is that RW&B morphed
>>> into the AFRS).   joe salerno

Remember that AFRS was a broadcast operation which started in 1943, and
the discs were not available to regular troops.  V-Discs were available
to regular troops and were NOT used for broadcasting.

From: David Lennick [mailto:dlennick at sympatico.ca]

From: david.diehl at hensteeth.com
> I have one of these somewhere-bought for a Johnny Hodges cut that turned out
> to be from Verve. It is microgroove, a somewhat brittle (styrene?) pressing.
> I've never found anything written about it.  DJD

The label would be glued on if it were injection moulded styrene, but
styrene could be used for compression moulding as well.  I would think
that you would recognize if it was some of the crap that Oberstein used
for things like Varsity.

Notice that the one pictured on YouTube states at the bottom that it is
"Issued by the U.S. Air Force".  There were two series of V-Discs from
the Army and the Navy during the war.  Since the Air Force was part of
the Army till after the war, maybe this is the new Air Force's
competitive effort.  I think Dick Sears' book does indicate when the
V-Disc program was ended, but this might be a Korean War extension.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com