[78-L] 78-L Digest, Vol 37, Issue 18 - Desert island Discs

Nigel Burlinson burlinson at orange.fr
Sun Oct 9 11:38:27 PDT 2011

Julian

The reason, I think, that these versions were used is because they are both
availble
on CD and the BBC tends not to use 78's if it can possibly avoid having to
do so
(too fiddly!). There are frequent complaints that Radio 3 (Classical Music)
refuses
to play even LP's, let alone 78's!!

The only person I know who does use 78's on his programme is Desmond
Carrington,
Friday at 7pm on Radio 2; he has nearly 250,000 records (not all 78's!) at
his home in
Perthshire and he's 85 years old and has just celebrated 30 years of his
slot.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b014vy26

Nigel Burlinson.