[78-L] "Prohibition" DVD - The FACTS

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com
Sun Oct 9 09:52:17 PDT 2011

On 10/9/2011 12:27 PM, Peter Schow wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 09, 2011 at 02:38:56PM +0000, David Lewis wrote:
>
>> One might surmise PBS' cash-poor status may have cut back on his
>> ability to hire many fact checkers, but Burns is an independent, and is
>> ultimately responsible for the content.

I have experienced this lack of fact-checking first-hand, although not
with Mr Burns.  I have been a guest "expert" on the History channel, as
I told the list a while back, and I was basically informed that the
sponsor (in this case, Motorola) wanted to say they had been the first
to invent a car radio.  But I had traced efforts with car radios back
long before Motorola and wanted to say so.  I was told to find a way to
make Motorola first or not be a guest expert.  That said, I don't know
if Burns wanted to make sponsors and underwriters happy or if he just
felt his staff could use google and wikipedia (gasp) to get "the
facts."  I see way too much lazy fact-checking these days.  If only some
of these documentarians would contact people like Mike Biel or others on
this list, they'd avoid factual errors.  But maybe they figured only a
tiny subset of viewers would notice.  How sad.