[78-L] "Prohibition" DVD

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 10:54:46 PDT 2011

There was an article recently (don't remember details now) about the Civil
War series being shown on PBS, and the author interviewed a professor of
history on his feelings. The professor said that the series was great in
that it created interest in the conflict, not so great as it made the whole
thing very romanticized and not what the conflict really was.

Burns has a habit of finding one talking head whom he relies on for
justification of his perspective. As we know, historical events are
multifaceted prisms that can be looked at any number of ways.

Cary, you may know this story, but just in case...... Burns attended a
performance of the Chicago Jazz Ensemble playing at Birdland, conducted by
Bill Russo, where they played several compositions that Bill wrote for Stan
Kenton. People who were there said that Burns' reaction was amazement, as in
"Why didn't I know about this?" Did he think that Wynton was actually going
to have good words to say about Kenton?

Jeff Sultanof