[78-L] "Prohibition" DVD

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Fri Oct 7 07:33:45 PDT 2011

I've watched episodes 1 and 2 and although the subject is fascinating, I'm finding his format kind of wearisome. What are the credentials of the talking heads he uses over and over again? I understand the elderly people who lived through the Depression but still don't know who they are. A brief introduction to each person before they start talking would certainly be helpful. As for the "historians" he uses, I know nothing of their background; what they've written, or even if they are affiliated with an institution.

As for the music, I've heard very little, thus far, that is concurrent with the events portrayed on the screen. I've heard "The Mooche" and other songs that weren't recorded until late in the 1920s or even the 1930s. They work with the visuals, but it would have been much more appropriate hearing songs that were made at the time. The best one I heard was Charlie Poole's "If the River Was Whiskey," and I forgive the anachronistic usage of that one, even though it wasn't recorded until 1930. I don't think I heard one acoustic record although I might be mistaken since I dozed off a few times during Episode 1.

I like the individual story lines that Burns focuses on. They are interesting, compelling, and representative of the era.

Cary Ginell