[78-L] Colortone LP's - Apollo connection ???

Thomas Stern sternth at attglobal.net
Thu Oct 6 09:37:34 PDT 2011

I've just found the following COLORTONE C 33-4939 (LP)
Gordon MacRae sings
Barbershop Blades Quartet sings Songs of the Gay 90's.

There are 4 Gordon MacRae tracks - seem to be the Apollo sides (based on titles), no Orchestra
credit is given, and no licensing indication (e.g. I infer not Capitol).

Colortone is listed as a division of WALDORF MUSIC HALL Inc., Harrison NJ.

A Billboard article DEC 1957 reports the launch of the COLORTONE $1.49 label.

Grand Award sold to AM-PAR (ABC Paramount) in October 1959, including
Audition, Colortone, Command Performance and Waldorf Music Hall subsidiaries.

Search did not shed any light on the connection, if any, to Apollo.

What was the disposition of APOLLO (some sources indicate it's demise in 1959) ??
Anyone have any information of how the MacRae masters came to be released by Colortone ??
 -possibly, these maters were sold or licensed to Colortone, not the entire line ???

An APOLLO tid-bit gleaned from my search:
Billboard Mar 26 1949 reports a deal between APOLLO and Charles Delaunay's Jazz Selection label
to press and distribute 8 masters in France, including
Dizzy Gillespie, Coleman Hawkins, Arnett Cobbs and Illinois Jacquet.

Another reference to the MacRae APOLLO selections - three of the titles
recorded for Apollo appear on what was listed as a 78, having 2 tracks
per side.  The fourth track is Dinah Washington "All or Nothing At All".
I THINK "18 TOP HITS" label BR28.

Washington recorded for Apollo, but I do not find that title listed in 78discography Apollo list.

Can someone provide further information about this disc ??

THANKS!

Best wishes, Thomas.