[78-L] National Barn Dance documentary on PBS

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed Oct 5 23:20:35 PDT 2011

I found where this message disappeared to, so disregard my previous
request for reposting.

Much of the information on Elizabeth McLoud's listing of early surviving
broadcast recordings is from me, and she has not updated that listing in
too many years.  No early Nat'l Barn Dance programs have been found,
although there is a re-creation of The WLS Showboat on Silvertone from
1928 that includes some people who were on the Barn Dance including
Bradley Kincaid.  I was friends with the announcer who replaced George
D. Hay on the Barn Dance, the late Steve Cisler, so I especially eager
to find some recordings.  Got some photos of Steve with the program's
cast, including one of him and Artie the Arkansas Woodchopper by a
microphone with a movie camera in the picture.  The movie might have
been an Illinois Agriculture Dept SILENT film.  I did tell the producers
of the documentary about this but didn't know the documentary was on, so
I don't know if they found it. I also told them to check the WLS 75th
anniversary program for recordings of Geo Hay doing WLS IDs from 1925
Columbia Records, and a segment of an interview with Steve I did.  I
understand that there are some recordings of the program from the late
30s with Henry Burr and Billy Murray.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com