[78-L] Kay Armen

David Lewis uncledavelewis at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 5 18:33:57 PDT 2011

Cary,

Definitely a very strong connection; Kay Armen first rolled out "Come On-a My House" as part of a
short-lived, local L.A. revue in 1945. This was Bagdasarian's first song, written in 1939 on a
drunken spree with his cousin William Saroyan -- the author. I would have loved to hear Kay sing
the song, but as far as I know she never recorded it. Rosemary Clooney, who did, sang it well, but
hated it.

Uncle Dave Lewis
uncledavelewis at hotmail.com

There is a tune written by Ross Bagdasarian (aka David Seville) called "Armen's Theme." I have it on a British London 78, but below is an image of the U.S. Liberty version. I never made the connection between Bagdasarian and Armen, but they both had Armenian roots (Armen's real name was Armenuhi Manoogian), so that probably indicates some sort of friendship between them.
The charming melody sounds more Italian than Armenian. I always liked Bagdasarian's non-Chipmunks instrumentals.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/78-DAVID-SEVILLE-chipmunks-ARMENS-THEME-1956-VG-/270733839394?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item3f08fe8c22

Cary Ginell