[78-L] Brian Davies' Equalizer software

Jeff Lichtman jeff at swazoo.com
Mon Oct 3 19:42:05 PDT 2011

>Just loaded this up and am now playing with it... one thing I
>notice... which curve do I use for which 78 recording? Nothing noted
>for VIctor (I would assume HMV?)... and what about some of the
>'off-labels'? Right now I'm working on a light-ray Vocalion (VERY
>early), and not sure which curve to use on it.  Also, is there a
>source for other curves on the net that can be imported?
>
>TiA   Brad

While each label tended to have its own curve (which varied over
time), you can't rely on this for proper equalization on every
recording. So, for example, mid-thirties Victors often have a bass
turnover of 500 Hz and a treble rolloff of 8.5 dB, a particular
record might sound boomy or tubby with those settings. It's best to
use a label's nominal equalization curve as a starting point and
adjust things by ear.

The booklet "Playback Equalizer Settings for 78 RPM Recordings" by
James R. Powell and Randall G. Stehle is useful. Kurt Nauck sells it
at www.78rpm.com, but the part of his site where this book would be
listed seems to be down at the moment.

                        -        Jeff Lichtman
                                 jeff at swazoo.com