[78-L] more teejus questions from a beginner

Harold Aherne leotolstoy_75 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 2 21:16:53 PDT 2011

Avoiding Cameo and its siblings will mean depriving yourself of some really delightful music
by Messrs. Haring, Van Loan and Lange. The arrangements are cheerful and the recording
quality is, to my ears, better than on some other smaller labels. Here are a couple of
samples of the label's output so you can agree or disagree for yourself (click the label
image for a RealAudio file):
http://www.raeproductions.com/music/calif.html

http://www.raeproductions.com/music/skip.html

Vaughn de Leath (usually under pseudonyms) and Lucille Hegamin can also be found
on Cameo. In my experience, there's really no reason to avoid pre-1940 records based
on the label alone (unless the brand is specifically devoted to a genre you dislike).
There are times when Victor released disappointing versions of songs and Grey Gull
did a wonderful job, so it's difficult to generalise. Just have fun collecting and allow yourself
to discover your own tastes.

-HA