[78-L] more teejus questions from a beginner

Rod Brown raudiobrown at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 13:24:59 PDT 2011

Hey all,

Here's the latest in my continuing series of basic questions about
collecting 78s.

I just bought a couple of very nice Richard Jose records, mostly because the
labels were unusual, at least to my eye. They are gold ink on a white
background, with all the particulars type-written in, and a couple of
corrections done long-hand with a fountain pen. Are these test pressings, or
does this type of label have some other significance? I'd have thought this
would be a bit early for radio promotional copies, since from what I've
read, Jose was near the end of his time in Victor's catalog by the late
teens/early twenties (thanks, Tim Gracyk). Oh, yes--the titles are "When You
And I Were Young Maggie" and "Dear Old Girl."