[78-L] Mutter 1, Gershwin 0

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Oct 1 12:33:26 PDT 2011

So is Jascha Heifetz, whose arrangement that was. Anne-Sophie Mutter is a
renowned violinist, for no reason I have ever been able to fathom. 30 years ago
she debuted as a protege of Herbie von Hobnail, playing the Beethoven Concerto
as if it were a series of Nazi marches. She has not done anything in the
intervening years to prove herself worthy of acclaim, but we've been mired in
mediocrity in other classical areas as well, with so-called wise people
praising operatic screamers like Ben Heppner and Renee Fleming, soporific
guitarists like Sharon Isbin (prizewinners, yet), pretentious pretenders like
Nigel Kennedy (who decided he didn't need a first name)..I feel sorry for Andre
Previn, who once had a reputation, but he happens to be married to this woman.

dl