[78-L] Roots of Rock n Roll (was: Back Beat Boogie)

agp agp2176 at verizon.net
Sat Oct 1 09:01:53 PDT 2011

Admittedly, I don't know much about this sort of stuff, and the topic
is very much open to, no doubt, loud and argumentative, debate, but
-- what floored me about Back Beat Boogie by Harry James was a sound
that was so very much like 50s rock'n'roll, that anyone could pick it
out,if not mistake it for a 50s recording.

Am I correct in saying that the back beat is what is makes it so?

What other early 40s, 1930s, and before (is that possible?) tracks
have that direct to rock'n'roll sound.

Although thought of by some, Rock and Roll by the Boswell Sisters
merley uses the term. Rock me by Sister Rosetta Tharpe seems to be
there. Caldonia by Louis Jordan is there..

Just wonder what others qualify