[78-L] Sylvia Robinson (made 78s)

warren moorman wlmoorman3 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 30 09:02:45 PDT 2011

________________________________

Article pays disservice to her work with Mickey Baker, covering that
with one sentence: Later, she was part of the duo "Mickey & Sylvia."

> Indeed. In speaking with many people who care nothing for rap and don't recall "Pillow Talk", I find that it's "Love Is Strange" that they commonly know, even if not by its' title, because of its' prominent place in the enduring hit movie musical  "Dirty Dancing". One can just say the lines "Sylvia?...Yes Mickey" and they know it immediately. I've read someplace that they didn't really want to cut that song, though they followed it with a similarly wonderful duet more people should hear called "In My Heart".

agp also wrote:
As Mickey and Sylvia, there were 78s on Cat, Rainbow and Groove as early as 54, through 58. Love is Strange as Groove 0175 and Vik 0252.
Solo, prior to that she was known as Little Sylvia, and recorded for Jubilee as early as 1952.

These omissions make the article sound as if was written by Clear Channel