[78-L] Some nice finds

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Wed Sep 28 07:09:05 PDT 2011

Album A-549 has a booklet, since I have an image of its cover
(similar to album cover, but omitting tune titles).

Very interesting to download the 144 booklet pdf, but for some reasons it is much too large.
It is 35 MB, but when I look at it at 25% size it is perfect.
At 100 % its size nears 100x100cm ! At 1/16th, this could be a 3MB file.

han enderman
===
>>> Ah, this is a different Decca New Orleans Jazz set. Document is there, might
take a few seconds to load.

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 9:29 PM, Cary Ginell <soundthink at live.com> wrote:

> The document is blank. Decca A-549 came out in 1947. Four sides by Johnson,
> four by Ory.
>
> Johnson titles are: Tishomingo Blues / You Always Hurt the One You Love /
> Alexander's Ragtime Band / My Maryland
> Ory titles are: Muskrat Ramble / The Girls Go Crazy About the Way I Walk /
> High Society / Blanche Touquatoux
>
> Individual record nos. are Decca 25131 through 25134.
>
> Cary Ginell
>
> > Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 21:07:07 -0400
> > From: mikedaley at gmail.com
> > To: 78-l at klickitat.78online.com
> > Subject: Re: [78-L] Some nice finds
> >
> > Hi Cary. I scanned the booklet for the Decca New Orleans Jazz album No.
> 144
> > a while ago - I suspect that this is not what you're looking for?
> Personnel
> > seems different.
> >
> > http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1792185/neworleansjazzliners.pdf
> >
> > Mike
> >

> > On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 8:23 PM, Cary Ginell <soundthink at live.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > > While going through our neighborhood used record store (the only one we
> > > have) for the umpteenth time, I noticed some hidden away 78s that I had
> > > never noticed before. Among the usual Buddy Clark Columbias and Tommy
> Dorsey
> > > Victors I found a small vein of post-war traditional jazz and another
> of
> > > '50s rock 'n' roll. Came away with "My Baby Left Me" by Elvis on RCA in
> E+
> > > condition for 3 bucks (OK, "I Want You, I Need You, I Love You" was V
> to V+
> > > with peak distortion, but who listens to that side anyway?), 3 E copies
> of
> > > Bill Haley Deccas (also $3 each), a Tommy Steele UK Decca ($2) 3 Jump
> 78s
> > > that I didn't have for a buck apiece, and the Decca "New Orleans Jazz"
> album
> > > featuring Bunk Johnson & Kid Ory (4 discs for $5 - all in new
> condition).
> > > Two of the Jumps were by Rushton's California Ramblers. Joe Rushton is
> an
> > > anomaly: a post-war bass sax player; hearing that instrument in
> post-war
> > > fidelity is wonderful.
> > >
> > > My question regards the Decca set (A-549). Did this come with a
> descriptive
> > > booklet? If anyone has a copy, I would appreciate a PDF.
> > >
> > > Cary Ginell
<<<