[78-L] H N SOCIETY RECORDS

Thomas Stern sternth at attglobal.net
Mon Sep 26 19:15:44 PDT 2011

interesting label - I don't know anything about it -
a search of Gramophone Shop ency and supplements does not show H N Society or HN society.

I notice that it is produced by HARGAIL - there was a music publisher
HARGAIL MUSIC PRESS, 28 West 38th St., New York, N.Y.10018
which had many song folios of recorder music, folk music and early music.

Don't know if it is the same company that produced this record ??????????

found the following:
Harold Newman, Gail Kubik founded HARGAIL MUSIC 1940
see collection at NY Public Libary
In 1940 Newman befriended the American composer Gail Kubik, and commissioned the first American composition for recorder – Suite
for Three Recorders. In order to make this piece available, Newman formed a publishing firm named after himself and Kubik –
Hargail Recorder Music Publishers. He also established a record label called Hargail Records to distribute recordings of the
recorder, as well as other contemporary American music. During the 1950s his interests expanded to include folk music, as he saw
the opportunity to publish music for recorder and guitar, and to help make the recorder part of the American cultural pattern

Best wishes, Thomas.