[78-L] Almost Totally Off-Topic (but not quite). Advice needed.

Spats spats47 at ntlworld.com
Mon Sep 26 15:20:49 PDT 2011

Hi!

It's time to confess.

During the 70s, I would wander around London to various Jazz concerts
with my Walkman cassette-player inside my bowler hat and record all
sorts of great performances, because I knew that these musicians
wouldn't be around forever...and of-course, I was right about that.

Just about nothing that I have was ever released officially.

Recently, I bought a new toy.
It's a cassette-player that plugs into a computer so that everything
can be transferred to 'digital'.

So, I've been listening to the fruits of my labour back then after a
gap of a few decades.

I have, for instance, three hours of Mary Lou Williams live in 1978
obviously having a ball, amazing shows such as Earl Hines playing
with Buddy Tate, Bill Coleman and even Stephane Grappelly, Ella with
Count Basie (and she chose to do a lot of Duke's numbers!), Jabbo
Smith, Snub Mosely, Barney Bigard, Barney Kessel, Benny Waters, Al
Casey, Tommy Flanagan etc., etc.

At least these artistes, or most of them, DID record in 78rpm too! ;-)

Anyhow, though not professional sound quality, it's all a lot better
than I thought it would be and very listenable!

It really is a treasure-trove and ought to be 'out there' and
available to Jazz-lovers.

Following our recent discussion about the extension of copyright, I
don't know where I stand legally, but this stuff shouldn't be rotting
in my drawers.

Any advice gratefully accepted on or off list,

Earl Okin.