[78-L] Hank Williams 1938, 1940

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Wed Sep 21 14:43:00 PDT 2011

The Time Life website has 30-second snippets of all the tracks on the set. The early sides are certainly interesting, but the sound quality is pretty poor. Still, you can hear the nascent Williams style emerging, even while he was only a teenager. It's apparent he hadn't learned to yodel yet - his one attempt, on "Freight Train Blues" is laughably bad (plus there's apparent groove damage that causes a skip on the track). - I'm still not sure whether he learned "Lovesick Blues" from an Emmett Miller 78 or a remake by fellow Alabamian Rex Griffin (I would wager on the latter). He gets the words wrong on "Alexander's Ragtime Band." Two of the songs, "New San Antonio Rose" and "Greenback Dollar" don't even sound like Williams. San Antonio Rose is a harmonica/guitar instrumental and the vocal on "Greenback Dollar" is a group vocal but it's hard to pick out Hank's voice.

Picking out a couple of random tracks from the H&H shows, the quality sounds pretty good. I don't have any here to compare them to, only original reel-to-reel dubs taken from actual discs and unprocessed. But what I heard sounds like it was cleaned up pretty nicely.

It's certainly an interesting find, but is it worth the price of the whole set? That's up to the buyer. If I were a HW fanatic, I'd probably go for it. Williams' sound changed so little over the years that a little goes a long way and I have more than enough of his records to last my lifetime and don't have the burning desire to own the early raw transcriptions.

Cary Ginell