[78-L] Doris Day

Don Cox doncox at enterprise.net
Wed Sep 21 12:40:45 PDT 2011

On 17/09/2011, David Lewis wrote:

> Sorry to bring this thread out sort of zombie-like, especially as so
> many correspondents were so anxious to see it expire. But I wanted to
> share my perspective.
>
> Partly Doris' issue is a problem of classification. Once upon a time
> there was something called a "pop singer" or "pop vocalist" and that
> had a specific meaning. Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby were both pop
> vocalists whose records were in the "Pop Vocal" section of your local
> record store. In 2011, however, "pop" itself refers to an entirely
> different kind of music, and if Amy Winehouse is a pop singer, than
> Doris Day cannot be. So Bing and Frank have been re-designated as jazz
> singers, which is not too uncomfortable a designation for them,
> although I would have a hard time recognizing "Too-Ra-Loo-Ra-Loo-Ral"
> or "High Hopes" as "jazz," because these are pop songs, period. We
> have re-designated them into a category that really doesn't suit what
> they did in the "big picture" sense.

Why not call the singers of that period (roughly late 1930s to early
1960s) "Popular singers" as opposed to Pop singers?

Obviously it is just a word; but then most popular "Classical" music is not
classical but romantic - words don't have to be accurate so long as we
know what we mean.

Regards
--
Don Cox