[78-L] quality control problems

neechevoneeznayou at gmail.com neechevoneeznayou at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 04:39:12 PDT 2011

I know 45s were made with hot levels to help hide the quality of the
vinyl. They wore faster but were intended for a market that would listen
to a song for a few months and then move on to something new. It's the
nature of the pop music industry overall I suppose.

Of course off center records and crummy surfaces are not unique to any
format, 78s included. I suspect the out of round issue is the result of
a warped record being flattened out. At least, that has been my
experience with 78s. Could it be a matter of a lacquer master shrinking
and slipping on the substrate? Usually that kind of flaw is seen on old
lacquers and has developed over time, not on a freshly cut record going
to the bath to be plated for immediate pressing. Off-center center holes
is more an issue of degree than right or wrong.

I have rarely seen a pressed 78 record with reversed labels, and I don't
recall that I have ever seen one with the wrong label, but I know it has
happened, and we have discussed it on the list some time ago.

joe salerno

--
Joe Salerno