[78-L] Flatacre records

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Sun Sep 18 18:02:59 PDT 2011

There's a commercial currently being shown, (only in Canada), the plot of which is that a girl is being evicted from her home.  She's sitting on her verandah with a blues record playing while movers remove her belongings.  Suddenly she puts her finger on the record, stopping it and the motion of the movers stops as well; then she starts rocking the record back and forth, with the movers also rocking back and forth, and then she starts turning the record backwards and the movers, moving backwards, return her belongings to the house.  They are advertising some credit service which can ease your financial woes.

But I'm interested in the record.  It briefly shows a close-up of the disc which, although it's clearly and LP, has what appears to be a 78 label somewhat loosely pasted on.  The label says "Flatacre" as the manufacturer in large letters at the top.  Below that it says "Electrically recorded", (I've never seen an LP with that), and the record number is 2310 - A.  The title is "212 Blues", and in the area where 78s often described the nature of the contents, it says, "Blues Singing at its finest".  The artists are "Jasmine Bailey and the Rhythm Busters and around the bottom of the label appears, "MFG. by the Flatacre Radio Corporation";  at the very bottom is "Made in Canada".  The only way all of this can be read is by pausing the picture.  There is no connection that I can see between the title, artists, record number, label name, etc. and the product being advertised.  I'm wondering if this actually is a label from a real 78;  I've never seen
 a record by the "Flatacre" company.

db