[78-L] European Sound Recording Copyright Extension

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com
Wed Sep 14 14:24:44 PDT 2011

--
I agree,
And I forwarded the UK Intellectual Property Office reply to my boss
(head of Swedish Radio's music channel) who, in an interview a few days
ago, falsely interpreted the EU decision as putting all recordings
between 1961 and 1941 under copyright, thereby creating difficulties for
the channel to play Jussi Bjoerling and other stuff of the period.
For me, producing and hosting a programme with perhaps 75 per cent
pre-1960's music, mostly popular and jazz, the copyright extension means
very little. And European radio stations can continue to play as much as
they like from the 78 rpm era, but will have to be careful with all
recordings from 1964 or so, depending on when the EU decision is
ratified and the law becomes active.
The thing is: in Europe radio stations pay for performance rights. In
order to minimize the cost for these many public radio stations, like
BBC, NRK, DR, SR, WDR, BR, Deutsche Welle etc., use unprotected
recordings or their own live recordings to fill the play lists. The
unprotected recordings are rarely old ones, having passed into PD, but
modern US productions. The bizarre logic here is: US radio stations
don't pay royalties to record companies and artists, so why should we...
Kristjan