[78-L] Information on Ruth Gaylor

Harold Aherne leotolstoy_75 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 13 11:24:31 PDT 2011

Have any articles or biographical information ever been published on Ruth Gaylor? She
was a band singer active from at least 1936 to 1945, singing with Hudson-DeLange, Bunny
Berigan, Teddy Powell and Hal McIntyre in roughly that order. Billboard noted that she had
been replaced in the McIntyre band by February 1946 and seems to have no references to
her after that year. Whitburn cites her as having died in March 1972 at age 53.

I like the vocals of hers that I've heard so far; she can skillfully change from girlish tones
to deeper shades during the course of a song. Here she sings "My Funny Valentine" with
Hal McIntyre and his orchestra, recorded in December 1944 and issued on Bluebird 30-0837:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhkiXysbJMk

A few other Ruth Gaylor sides can also been heard on Youtube.

-HA