[78-L] O'Day what can the matter be? [was Doris Day]

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Sep 12 23:28:20 PDT 2011

On 13/09/11 03:08, David Lennick wrote:
> I seem to have been misinterpreted here..I was piling it on Doris Day, not
> Clooney. Clooney was great no matter what she sang, including Mambo Italiano
> and Botch-a-Me. Meanwhile, let's add Anita O'Day to my list of singers who
> could do no wrong.
>
> dl

Took me years to make up my mind about O'Day. I like her work with
Krupa, slightly less so with Kenton, where she seems to be getting
formulaic. Don't care for her small group work--seems to me she needed
the challenge of a big band.

Some of her performances are of the "Look at me, I'm hip" variety.

      Julian Vein