[78-L] Doris Day

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Sep 12 19:35:36 PDT 2011

I see what happened here..I paraphrased too quickly and didn't stress that it
was Doris Day who someone said "could have recorded great stuff in her later
years, as Clooney did". With which I totally disagree, but hey, folks, that's
me. I can't stand Doris Day's early singing (was she pretending to be drunk?),
I can't stand Doris Day's middle singing ("I'll String Along with You" has to
be one of the most soporific records ever made), I can't stand Doris Day's
later singing (precious precious precious blechhhhhh), she was tolerable in
"Love Me Or Leave Me" as long as you forgot that she was portraying a much more
interesting person, and she made "romantic comedies" that were a laughing stock
then, let alone today.

dl