[78-L] Here's a weird one

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun Sep 11 08:20:46 PDT 2011

For some years I've had an English Decca 78, M-532, labelled RHAPSODY OF JEWISH
FOLK MELODIES, Parts 1 & 2, identified as by the UKRAINIAN STATE ENSEMBLE OF
JEWISH FOLK MUSIC, Conductor: FAINTUCH. Obviously I never played it until
today. Imagine my surprise when I heard, on the first side, lush music by a
theatre type orchestra, and all tunes by Fritz Kreisler. Even more surprising
was a swinging version of "Is You Is, Or Is You Ain't". Kreisler was Jewish,
Louis Jordan..jury still out. Matrix numbers on label and in dead wax are the
same except that the prefixes are RR 8637/8 on the label and DR 8637/8 on the
disc. So..somebody goofed major here!

A side is DR 8637-2, medley of Fritz Kreisler tunes, no idea who plays.
B side is DR 8638-2, Is You Is or Is You Ain't..Carl Barenteau & His Orchestra
(got this from Rust-Forbes).

Weird!