[78-L] Nations Forum Records

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Sep 6 17:39:28 PDT 2011

On 9/6/2011 6:27 PM, Steve Ramm wrote:

>   Jack - and others - as luck would have it, I found my copy of Dave's article - 18 pages. He lists the recordings and 1-26 were the basic ones. But there were 3 unumbered by Eamon DeLalera and 6 more from 1918-19 with 49xxx and 69xx numbers. These include Homer S. Cummings, Sen. Hitchcock of Nebraska and John D. Rockerfeller Jr.

In Donna's original message which I reposted, she mentioned that the
numbers of the Coolidge recordings  shown in the Jordan Marsh ad are
"Law and Order" (#61) and "Equal Rights" (#58).

The Library of Congress website I mentioned in my original posting does
not have a plain old discography, but does give the total number of
recordijngs the have from the series.  They do not mention how many
might be duplicates or might have been unissued, but for example, they
have four takes (!!) of the Coolidge recording.

From: http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/nfhtml/nfcol.html
"The total number of recordings made by the Nation's Forum is unknown.
The Library of Congress holds fifty-nine examples in a collection that
has been assembled over a period of years from a variety of donors and
record collectors. Of the fifteen 1918 recordings at the Library of
Congress, the Pershing/Gerard record is an original shellac disc, eleven
records are modern vinyl test pressings struck from original masters,
and two recordings are audio tape dubs. Of the forty-four recordings
from the 1919-1920 series at the Library of Congress, twenty-four are
original shellac discs, seventeen are modern vinyl test pressings struck
from original masters, and three are audio tape dubs."

As I previously mentioned, the vinyl tests are probably from the A.F.R.
Lawrence collection he made while culling the Columbia Bidgeport archive
back in the 1960s and we can't be sure whether the metals of these were
slated for retention or destruction.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com