[78-L] Highest Victor with a "patents" label

Harold Aherne leotolstoy_75 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 6 14:56:30 PDT 2011

Does anyone have information as to the highest known Victor catalogue number with
the patents design? I'm asking primarily about the 17000 popular series that would have
been in use at the time of the transition, but data regarding any of the domestic issues
is welcome.

The subject of Victor's label transitions is certainly fascinating to many collectors, but
discussion has usually focused on batwing-to-scroll and scroll-to-circular; I haven't come
across a source that lists the highest patents (or earlier) designs for the various series.
In "The Collector's Guide to Victor Records" Michael Sherman cites the highest known
domestic batwing pressing as 20101 (an Irving Aaronson-George Olsen coupling recorded
in late June 1926 and issued in September). The highest domestic scroll that I've seen
in the regular series is 25635 (Tommy Dorsey, July 1937), but the Argentine branch
of Victor retained the scroll design quite a bit longer--at least up to May 1940 (see this
auction listing: http://tinyurl.com/44slqea).

As for the highest domestic circular label, I've seen Ebay listings for 20-5745 (released
May 1954) that still had that design, but it might have been one of the last as Billboard
noted that the "New Orthophonic" phrase had been added to RCA Victor's June releases.
Canadian pressings retained the rings at least until Perry Como's "Catch a Falling Star"
(released 12/57; see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy89uF3DVoA). They used the
full-colour Nipper label by the time of Neil Sedaka's "Oh, Carol" (released in Aug or Sep
1959; see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE6nUmkTJYg).

-HA