[78-L] seeking a back-story about some patriotic 78s

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com
Sat Sep 3 14:06:24 PDT 2011

First, if this has been asked and answered already, I apologize-- there
was a long period of time over the past year when my entire focus was on
finishing my PhD (which, as I may have told the list, I did in May).  So
here's my question.  I was reading some old microfilm from the Boston
Herald/Boston Traveler (sister newspapers back in the 1910s and 1920s).
This was from 13 April 1925, a big ad for Jordan Marsh Department
Store.  They were announcing a sale on "2500 Nation's Forum 12-inch
Double Disc Records" for 25 cents (original price of $2.00 stamped on
every record!).  These were, according to the ad, "orations by notable
Americans on one side, a stirring American march by Prince's Band on the
other side."  While I am certain pleased that Prince had a band, I was
also fascinated to see that among the speakers were Calvin Coolidge,
Henry Cabot Lodge, Warren G. Harding, and the guy with the biggest ears
I have ever seen, former postmaster and current movie censor Will Hays.

I had no idea that Coolidge (who was the subject of some jests over his
very nasal speaking voice) made any records for "Nation's Forum," so is
there a back-story about this label or this project?  The topics seem to
be informative and patriotic-- for example, Coolidge did "Law and Order"
(#61) and "Equal Rights" (#58) and I assume no controversy was ever
discussed-- no mention of segregation or discrimination of any kind.
Most of the politicians who recorded the speeches seem to be
Republicans, and I have no idea if that was by design or because they
were in power at that time.  Anyway, can somebody fill me in on these discs?