[78-L] Fixing the 'No Saturday Delivery problem may take 24 hours

Ron Fial ron at fial.com
Sun Sep 4 23:41:34 PDT 2011

Various members pointed that lots of mail was sent Saturday, then people got 'message delivery delayed', etc.
Thanks to Mike Biel, Donna Halper, David Lennick, Mark Bardenwerper, Dave Lewis et. al. who put me on the right track.

Tonight I figured out the problem.   I should have checked more than one DNS server last night.

78-L uses a fast, worldwide DNS service called EasyDns.com

The bill for renewal of the service wound up in my 'junk mailbox', so the service
expired.   But not completely, one server (ns1.easydns.com) still has the 78online.com
   records.   The other servers, ns2.easydns.com, etc, do not.
I just paid the bill, things should go back to normal, but it could take 24 hours.

Meanwhile, you can get to the 78-L web server with this address in your web browser:
      http://64.62.25.246

Your email server may not be able to send email to the list until the DNS
  servers on the Internet are updated (can take 24 hours).  It depends on which DNS
  server your ISP happens to use (luck of the draw).  If your mail reached the list today
(Sunday) then your ISP is using ns1.easydns.com.  Likewise the www.78online.com web pages.

My apologies for the messup.  More info for computer geeks below.

  Regards,
  Ron Fial    78-L list manager

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\ron>nslookup            <---  nslookup program can be used to test your DNS lookups
Default Server:  14.sub-66-174-92.myvzw.com
Address:  66.174.92.14

> server ns1.easydns.com     <--use this DNS server
Default Server:  ns1.easydns.com
Address:  64.68.192.10

> www.78online.com              <---find this IP address
Server:  ns1.easydns.com
Address:  64.68.192.10

Name:    klickitat.78online.com    <---- finds it OK
Address:  64.62.25.246
Aliases:  www.78online.com

> server ns2.easydns.com       <-- use this Otherr DNS sever
Default Server:  ns2.easydns.com
Address:  72.52.2.1

> www.78online.com       <--- Try finding this IP address again
Server:  ns2.easydns.com