[78-L] Librarian's many records

Malcolm Rockwell malcolm at 78data.com
Mon Aug 29 19:54:22 PDT 2011

Sounds to me like the producer and/or mix-down engineer(s) have no idea
about 3 dimensional spacial placement. This concept means little to the
modern recording engineer (the person who actually records the basic
tracks) but is indispensable to the mix-down engineer. Without it a
recording will be as you say.
Unfortunately recording and mix-down are usually the same guy. Not a
good move, IMNSHO. All the prejudices of the single engineer are carried
forward from the first part of the process to the next, and there's
usually enough of that with the producer!
If a project was a large one I'd usually suggest a three step process,
each using different engineers: recording, mix-down and mastering. All
are specialized fields of engineering and new ears never hurt. If they
do then you can  find another engineer to do that part of the project
and none of the previous work is lost.
Malcolm

*******