[78-L] record cabinet?

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Aug 28 13:21:57 PDT 2011

On 8/28/2011 3:32 PM, neechevoneeznayou at gmail.com wrote:
> on you-know-where...
>
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120769683310&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123#ht_3489wt_1185
>
> Looks like an attractive piece of furniture and a sturdy place to keep
> your records circa 1901, until you open the drawers. Is this how they
> stored records? I was expecting vertical shelving.
Vertical shelving implies that the round records would be either in
sleeves or albums, otherwise they would roll out.  With one exception I
have not been able to find evidence of sleeves before 1906 -- not even
any mention of how discs were sold, shipped, or stored in the trade
press.  I had expected to find companies offering to sell sleeves to
dealers, but there were only a few mentions of storage albums but not as
early as 1901.  I would LOVE to get ANY info of the existence of disc
sleeves prior to 1906 beyond the one Berliner sleeve in the new Sherman
book.

One other thing about this record cabinet.  Although there is no way I
could afford this, I asked the seller to give the dimensions.
Especially considering some of the machines he mentioned, it might only
hold 7-inch discs!!

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com