[78-L] Artie Shaw 12-inchers

J. E. Knox rojoknox at metroeast.org
Thu Aug 25 12:11:42 PDT 2011

Greetings from FixitLand!

David Weiner wrote:

> Anyone ever see the two Shaw 12-inchers of -
>
> Suite #8/Evensong - Victor 28-0405 (both recorded 12/23/41)
>
> Summertime/Maid with the Flaccid Air - Victor 28-0406 (recorded
> 4/17/45 &
> 7/19/45)
>
> Were they issued as a set? Since the issue numbers are consecutive,
> I assume
> the first 1941 coupling wasn't issued until the second one was in
> 1945.
> (The 1944 Ellington "Black, Brown & Beige" set contained record
> numbers
> 28-0400 and 28-0401.)
>
> Never seen either of the Shaws, myself.

Although they have consecutive catalog numbers, Victor 28-0405 and
-0406 are singles. Victor were issuing only a very few 12-inch black-
label records; some time could easily pass between releases.

They aren't particularly rare...I have at least two copies of each.

Take care,

Joe
--
"Cats are peaceful and tranquil—they bring calmness with their serene
personalities."—Chris Evert