[78-L] Bob Wills' hollering (was "unissued western swing on Bear Famly")

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Thu Aug 25 09:45:49 PDT 2011

I might qualify one statement - Satherley's view of Wills' hollering. Initially, he was against it, telling Wills to be quiet because he was drowning out his musicians' solos. Wills threw a fit, saying "You hired Bob Wills, you get Bob Wills," and threatened to walk out of the session. Satherley grew to like the hollering and even encouraged Wills to add more of it on later sessions. Two great examples of Wills' "diarrhea of the mouth" are on the head arrangement "Liza Pull Down the Shades" (Vocalion 04839, 1938) and "Takin' It Home" (OKeh 06205, 1941). Both of these may as well had Wills listed as a vocalist because he never shuts up, even ending the latter song with Annette Hanshaw's trademark "That's All!"

Cary Ginell