[78-L] Unissued western swing on Bear Family

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Wed Aug 24 18:58:27 PDT 2011

Just listened to this CD and the sound quality is quite incredible. The vocals on the small groups bring forth nuances that you could not hear on a 78, and it's pretty astounding what kind of quality Columbia was getting in the late '30s and early '40s on these field sessions. The songs themselves are hit-and-miss, however, hearing the roaring steel guitar of Emil Hofner, the hot fiddle of Leon Selph, and various and sundry primitive amplified instruments make this a relevatory set to listen to. Bear Family has also maxed out the amount of music you can put on a CD, cramming in 31 songs and over 84 minutes of material. It's also nice to see that Bear Family has gone green in its packaging, dispensing with the clumsy jewel case in favor of a sleeker fold-out cardboard model with a plastic Digipak-style insert. Also plenty of photographs, enlarged sufficiently to see faces (not like in some other European product). Kevin Coffey's notes reveal a number of revelations, including the tantalizing possibility that the lyrics to "New San Antonio Rose" may have been penned by the Nite Owls' electric steel guitarist Bobby Symons, as evidenced by a vintage lyric sheet kept by Symons' widow. She claims that her husband sold the words to Bob Wills for $30. Coffey reports some "fascinating differences" between Symons' version and the one that Wills finally used, but doesn't elaborate, possibly saving that for another time. These kinds of stories are rife in western swing, especially in light of the presence of notorious song-grabbers like Jimmie Davis, who never met a hit he wouldn't underpay for. Wills was known to have bought songs himself, so it's possible, though not provable at this late date, that the San Antonio-based Symons may have had a hand in writing the most celebrated western swing song of all. Nice job, Bear Family!

Cary Ginell