[78-L] Folded Decca album

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Aug 23 17:15:34 PDT 2011

On 8/23/2011 4:22 PM, DAVID BURNHAM wrote:
> I only have one Bluebird set in a folded album, (not a children's set but BP 2, "Favorite Christmas Carols"),

Are you sure it is Bluebird?  If it is conducted by Lew White, I have it
pictured as RCA Victor P-2.  The set I photographed was a post-war
repackaging into book format, but I have catalog listings of it at the
time of original issue.  BP-1 was Artie Shaw, that that was in book form
as was Benny Goodman on Victor P-3.
>   and it is very poorly put together;  the cardboard is corrugated and of a strength you would expect in a flimsy cardboard box and it appears one long piece of cardboard was folded to make the album.  The envelopes are of the same quality as those in which records were purchased at the time.  I have a couple of the Deanna Durbin sets in folded albums and the backings are much sturdier - like the quality of album covers - and each section is an individual piece connected to the next one with hingeing tape.  The envelopes appear to be the same quality as sleeves in a normal album.  Each set includes a booklet which is simply slid in with one of the records.
>
> db
> ____

The only Durbin I have seen in a tri-fold was her first album, number
35.  I thought all her others were in the book format I have or have
seen.  Which ones do you have?

On 8/23/2011 11:16 AM, David Weiner wrote:
> As collector Roger Sturtevant always delighted in telling me, EVERY Decca
> set had a booklet!
>
> Dave Weiner

Roger was wrong!  The early Decca catalogs and supplements specifically
mentioned when an album came with a booklet, although I now see some
that have a booklet that are not listed as such after Album 31.  Maybe
he was right! But of the first 31 Decca albums, there are no listings of
booklets for 2,3,6,7,8,9, and 10.

What they didn't mention was if the album was in a book or tri-fold
format. As was mentioned The Boys From Syracuse, Album 33, Deanna
Durban's Souvenir Album No. 1, Album 35, Clayton McMichem, Album 66,
were in this form.  Also Frances Langford Souvenir Album, Album 77, was
a tri fold, and Bing Crosby's Ballad For Americans, Album 134, was a
2-fold.  I think Pat Harrington's  Irish album "Come All Ye's" and I
think the original form was a tri-fold when issued as Album 44, but
might have been reissued with a different number in book format.

But the worst for breakage is the book format Deanna Durban Souvenir
Album No 2, Album 75, which has a 12-inch disc along with several
10-inchers, and  the 12-inch of course is often broken.  Probably also
the Judy Garland Souvenir Album, number 76 which was in the same
format.  I agree with David Burnham that the Decca tri-folds are
substantial with board and cloth-supported folds.  The RCA ones were the
single sheet and normal thin paper sleeves glued on.  The Decca pockets
were of the thick stock used for regular book format albums.

I'm glad to have a good picture of the Phil Regan album because I had to
use a blow-up from a picture of an album cover display on the front of a
March 1941 Decca album brochure.  Looking at that display, it looks like
the Ethel Merman Panama Hattie album, number 203, 2 discs, might be a
two-fold.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com