[78-L] Berlin's "trunk songs"

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Mon Aug 22 03:56:20 PDT 2011

In Laurence Bergreen's biography of Berlin, he writes,

"Even Berlin's frequent misfired possessed some residual value. In Tin Pan Alley parlance, they were trunk songs; songs to be saved for the future....In the early stages of his career, Berlin was sufficiently organized to maintain and active backlog of trunk songs, to which he turned when he required inspiration and which he freely cannibalized."

This organization, even early in his career, indicates that Berlin probably did not literally keep his old, failed songs and fragments in a trunk, but in some other receptacle - probably a filing cabinet as Mike suggests. Berlin was a conservative; meticulous, miserly, insecure, and insecure, but he was a thorough professional, even from the beginning. The specific passage in the biography referring to "God Bless America" indicates precisely where the song fragment came from:

This was the anthem he had deleted from the score for "Yip! Yip! Yaphank" nearly twenty-one years before, but had kept on file, along with countless other fragments. Had it been left to Berlin to dig out the antique song himself, he might never have found it, but he turned to his secretary, Mynna, and said, "Go to the 'Yip! Yip! Yaphank!' file and get a copy of 'God Bless America.' Even Mynna, who was well organized, had a difficult time locating the song, because the transcript had no title, but eventually she was able to produce it for her boss."

Cary Ginell