[78-L] The same song, different state?

Dennis Flannigan dennis.flannigan at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 01:24:49 PDT 2011

Interestingly, "Washington, My Home," was written by a Tacoma resident that
American music history knows well. He's Joe Jordan and admittedly his state
song not his finest composition. Joe became a successful Realtor, respected
community leader and active in politics. I met him a few times, and am a
friend of his grandson, Tony Quinn. Joe raised Tony. Jordan's papers and
compositions were donated to a University. New World  Records released a CD
of his compositions.

The song, "Washington Rose," by Arkie Shibley (Hot Rod Race) did not raise
the bar, either.

Finally, I suspect every state has a waltz named after it. Good suggestion.

Dennis

From: David Breneman <david_breneman at yahoo.com>

I've never heard of "Washington Rose".? Washington's song is "Washington,
My Home" and a blander bit of treacle you've never heard.? We had to sing
it in grade school.

There's peace you feel and understand.
In
this, our own beloved land.
We greet the day with head held high,
And forward
ever is our cry.
We'll happy ever be
As people always
free.
For you and me a destiny;
Washington my
home.

If that doesn't sound bad to you, you need to hear the tune.
It's a kids skipping around the maypole kind of thing.

I prefer You-Dub's "Bow Down to Washington."