[78-L] Gene Autry Conqueror Album

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Wed Aug 17 06:51:18 PDT 2011

I do not remember what was discussed about this subject in the past, but this is what I know.
I have images of front covers of 2 different Autry Conqueror albums (and of no other Cq albums).
Text on unnumbered covers (4x78) is:
- Ballads of the West / Sung by Gene Autry.
- Gene Autry / Cowboy Songs [with his name in larger italics].

About the contents of these albums when on ebay I noted:
Ballads - no info. [= 8629, 8968, 9388-89 according to the discussion]
Cowboy Songs - Cq 8191, 8465, 9058, 9544.
Cowboy Songs - incl. 9544.

About the date:
9388-89 recd 12 Mar 1940; not released before ca. Sep 1940 (9372 Memphis Minnie recd 27 June).
9544 recd 20 Aug 1940; not released before ca. Dec 1940 (9531 Ginny Sims recd 16 Oct).

han enderman
===
>>> We discussed this album last year when I was doing my album cover
history, and I am trying to remember if I had seen anything about this
in print before Cary mentioned it.  Well, I scored a copy of the album
on Saturday and am still wondering exactly when it was issued and what,
if any, records were supposed to be in it.  Cary indicated that there
had been records in his copy, and I'll list the records that were in mine.

The title on the spine is "GENE AUTRY Ballads"  and on the cover
"BALLADS OF THE WEST / SUNG BY//Gene Autry / CONQUEROR"  with his name
in larger italics.  If the records are not pre-selected, are any and ALL
the recordings of Autry on Conqueror "western ballads"??  It is not
titled "Gene Autry Sings", it is titled "Ballads of the West".

My copy had three Conqueror records and one purple label OKeh the dealer
put in to fill the album and because he thought that the OKeh was even
earlier (it's not, of course). There's no guarantee that the Conqueror
discs came with the album, but if these are found in other copies, it
might be an indication.

Conqueror
8629  Mexicali Rose  C-1194-1
            Nobody's Darling But Mine  DAL-125-1
8968  There's A Gold Mine In the Sky LA-1530-B
             Sail Along, Silv'ry Moon LA-1531-B
9388A El Rancho Grande LA-2176-A
9388B The Singing Hills LA-2174-A
OKeh  (purple)  (not a part of the original album)
6728 Don't Fence Me In  H-1143-1
           Gonna Build A Big Fence Around Texas  H-1145-1

There is significance about the spine printing.  It is vivid silver
which is indicative of ARC, although not exclusively so.  Al  What might
be more important is that there is a number on the spine, 5987, and
under that it says Four Records and has the Conqueror crown and C in a
silver circle at the bottom.  Could that number 5987 be a Sears catalog
order number?   There are Autry Conqueror releases right through 1942,
but this album has more of an ARC look than a CBS look. I'd love to have
more details of its date and content.

Mike Biel
---
The first three records on your list are the IDENTICAL ones that are in mine!
The fourth disc (for which someone replaced in your set with an OKeh release) is Cq 9389 (Goodbye Little Darlin' Goodbye / When I'm Gone You'll Soon Forget), which is probably the one that was supposed to be in that fourth slot.
Cary
---
This is fantastic news.  Short of finding a listing in a Sears catalog,
this would be the only way to determine not only the specific contents
but that there actually WERE specific contents.  Now, if we could only
find out about that Jimmie Rogers album!  For those who haven't checked
out my ARSC album cover presentation, I did determine the three specific
records in the 1926 Victor Mother's Day album, the specific records in
the November 1926 Orthophonic sampler album -- and that you could
request your dealer change any or all of the contents -- and that the
1926 Christmas album was empty to be filled IN THE STORE  by your
choices which did not have to be Christmas records.  I still feel that
the Jimmy Rogers album had specific records in it.
Mike Biel
---
The four records in my copy of the album are same as the ones that Cary reports.
- Jack Raymond
<<<