[78-L] Schwann Catalog(ue)s

D P Ingram darren at ingram.fi
Tue Aug 16 23:04:49 PDT 2011

Hi.

¦ D P Ingram ¦ Ab Ingram Oy ¦
¦ darren at ingram.fi ¦  www.ingram.fi ¦
¦
¦ MUSIC LIBRARY FINLAND - www.musiclibrary.fi
¦
¦ +358 6 781 0275 (FIN) ¦ extn 8001
¦

Thanks for the response.   It does seem a minefield and a brief search of various University libraries did not yield any consistency either and I did not see much to help with the LOC catalog. The British Library gave a bit more information, but again nothing concrete.

My initial question was relating to the filing as our database has two title fields, the "title" field which would be the exact title of the holding, and the "index" title which would be used for semi automated sorting and presentation.  So the eventual web catalog would display the "title title" and if you wanted to browse similar holdings in the series, where available, they would be presented after being sorted based on the "index title" key and the date encoded within.

A bit like someone entering (made up example allowing errors to be made) as a title date.

Schwann Long Playing Record Catalog Jan 1980
The Schwann Long Playing Record Catalog Jan 1960
Schwann Record Catalog Jan 1970

By using an index title (i.e. Schwann Catalog - YYMMDD)

We could then display the above, if so selected by the user "show me all in the series" in the order

The Schwann Long Playing Record Catalog Jan 1960
Schwann Record Catalog Jan 1970
Schwann Long Playing Record Catalog Jan 1980

So for the COLLECTOR or INFORMATION RESEARCHER would it be sufficient to lump all the Schwann Catalogs together or did several catalogues together (just like filing them all on one long shelf in date order) and in the search you might see:

Schwann Record Catalog Jan 1970
Schwann Record Classical Hits Jan 1970
Schwann Record Catalog Feb 1970
etc
etc

I.e. retaining the EXACT titles as appeared on the cover, etc whilst providing a means to at least show similar and related holdings without making it overly complex?

Does that clarify?

British Library notes four series

SCHWANN, W., Schwann Long Playing Record Catalog. vol. 11. no. 1-vol. 18. no. 5. Jan. 1959-May 1966. (Boston, 1959-66.)

SCHWANN, W., Schwann Record & Tape Guide. vol. 24. no. 1-vol. 26. no. 3. Jan. 1972-March 1974. (Boston, [1971]-74.)

Schwann-1, record & tape guide. (Boston, Mass. : W. Schwann, 1972-[1974])

Schwann compact disc catalog. (Boston, Mass. : Schwann Publications, 1985-)

And the Library of Congress three additional titles not known of by BL.

Schwann children's records

Schwann artist issue.

Schwann supplementary catalog.

I had a quick search of the ARSC Journals around 2005 but did not see that they published your presentation, so maybe it was only for the conference.

This seems to be the best (of what I viewed) library catalogues for Schwann's so far.

http://ctwsearch.wesleyan.edu/vufind/Record/w519858
http://ctwsearch.wesleyan.edu/vufind/Record/w519859
http://ctwsearch.wesleyan.edu/vufind/Record/w519860

So I wonder whether it is best to a) take my original approach (the big shelf view) or recreate similar to the above Wesleyan approach?  Both would, in any case, have the correct title in the "title title2.

Our database is custom designed so we don't have (yet) the related to automation that some library catalogues have, but we are trying to achieve different goals in addition to the primary goal :)

If you find your MS or a recording (from the 2005 CD) it would be interesting to see/hear.

Thanks, Darren

¦ D P Ingram ¦ Ab Ingram Oy ¦
¦ darren at ingram.fi ¦  www.ingram.fi ¦
¦
¦ +358 6 781 0275 (FIN) ¦  +44 203 411 1620 (UK) ¦ extn 8001
¦