[78-L] Did I sleep through this?

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Tue Aug 16 19:46:55 PDT 2011

http://www.pbs.org/aboutpbs/news/20080207_onrecord.html

Was this ever mentioned here? Did it ever air? Can a woman over 35?

PBS GREENLIGHTS
“ON RECORD: THE SOUNDTRACK OF OUR LIVES” HOSTED BY SIR GEORGE MARTIN

New Television Series from Wildheart Entertainment Launches
Multi-Pronged Project to Include Companion Web Site on pbs.org, CDs, DVDs,
Books and More

(February 7, 2008; Washington, DC) PBS in conjunction with Wildheart
Entertainment announced today the greenlighting of a major new television
series, ON RECORD: THE SOUNDTRACK OF OUR LIVES, an eight-hour series that
traces the history of recorded music and its impact on popular culture.
Featuring hundreds of artists from all genres of music, ON RECORD: THE
SOUNDTRACK OF OUR LIVES is slated to air nationally as a primetime series in
the Fall of 2010 on PBS; Sir George Martin, legendary producer of the Beatles,
will host. Two-time Academy Award-winning actor Kevin Spacey will narrate.

The television series and an extensive educational outreach initiative,
including the companion Web site on pbs.org, will be the centerpiece of an
ambitious multi-pronged project expected to include a companion CD box-set and
branded CD series, 12-hour DVD/home video series, accompanying books, a
multi-genre worldwide radio show and broadcasting through internet portals
globally.

“ON RECORD: THE SOUNDTRACK OF OUR LIVES is a project intrinsically dear to my
heart and one that I have been developing with Wildheart Entertainment for over
five years,” said Sir George Martin, legendary Beatles producer, recipient of
the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award and producer of more than 50 number-one
hit records. “I am just thrilled that PBS has joined us as our primetime
broadcaster. ON RECORD affords me the opportunity to work again with so many of
the artists I have worked with throughout my life and to tell a story that has
never been told in such a comprehensive way. Music is the only common thread
and universal language that binds us together, regardless of race, nationality,
age or income. And recorded music is how we experience it and what makes it
accessible.”

“I’m delighted to be a part of this remarkable, definitive series for PBS,”
said Spacey. “ON RECORD illustrates how in a little more than a century
recording technology has moved from wax cylinders to digital downloads. These
extraordinary changes have come to define not only music, but who we are as
individuals and as a society.”

ON RECORD has been in development by Wildheart executives Maxim Langstaff and
Michele Langstaff with Sir George Martin for more than five years. Both have
been working with Sir George for more than a decade in conjunction with the
successful “Making of Sergeant Pepper” multi-media events, and both will serve
as creators and executive producers of ON RECORD. Also serving as executive
producer for the series is Phil Quartararo, former president of EMI Music
Marketing, founding president and CEO, Virgin Records, and president of Warner
Music. Emmy Award-winning Alan Benson (BBC, Walt Disney) is the series director.

“ON RECORD tells the story of how the most universal mass medium of the 20th
century marked the emergence of pop culture worldwide,” said project visionary
Maxim Langstaff, “how the competition between the urban middle class and the
rural working class came to define popular music and in so doing, made possible
the breakthrough of minority cultures into mainstream consciousness.”

ON RECORD will feature artists from all genres of music including pop, jazz,
classical, R&B, folk, rock and country. Told as a narrative tapestry weaving
the words of today’s living legends with memorable musical moments, landmark
cultural events and inspiring inventions/innovations, ON RECORD will consist of
new interviews with top music icons and legends, historic archival performances
and never-before-seen footage exclusive to ON RECORD. Hundreds of artists will
be featured, including the Beatles, Frank Sinatra, Eric Clapton, Bob Dylan,
Aretha Franklin, Benny Goodman, Quincy Jones, Elton John, B.B. King, Alison
Krauss, Paul McCartney, Les Paul, Paul Simon, Louis Armstrong, Miles Davis, the
Carter Family, Bessie Smith, Robert Johnson, Enrico Caruso, Luciano Pavarotti,
Muddy Waters, Stevie Wonder, Peter, Paul & Mary, Woody Guthrie, John Denver,
Loretta Lynn, Buddy Holly, Leadbelly, Pete Seeger, Jay-Z, the Rolling Stones,
Michael Jackson, Ella Fitzgerald and scores of others. Their comments —
punctuated with their music — illuminate and reinforce the impact of the
world’s most pervasive mass entertainment medium.

“So many of us carry in our heads a musical soundtrack that gives our lives
meaning and vibrancy,” said John F. Wilson, Sr. Vice President & Chief TV
Programming Executive, PBS. “Music is such an important art form for
understanding our shared culture and history; this was a natural for PBS to
greenlight. We feel confident this project, supported with extensive
educational outreach, will be one of those monumental and long-lasting series
that PBS is so well known for.”

ON RECORD tells the story of how recorded music and its distribution and
consumption have transformed American life. The technology spawned radio,
movies, television and the Internet and gave birth to popular culture. In
little more than a century, recording technology moved from the first tin-foil
and wax cylinders to flat discs; from 78 to 33 and 45 rpm speeds; from the
acoustic horn to 128-track recording; from magnetic tape to digital downloads.
The series’ educational outreach will provide teachers with a curriculum guide
and source materials to help students discover or reconnect with their history
and culture through the universal language of music.

Recorded in HD and 5.1 surround sound, ON RECORD: THE SOUNDTRACK OF OUR LIVES
is produced by Wildheart Entertainment, L.P. Wildheart Entertainment manages
and produces artists, creative content and media products in film, music,
television, publishing and the Internet, and was created in response to the
changing landscape of entertainment and communications today.

PBS is a media enterprise that serves 355 public noncommercial television
stations and reaches nearly 73 million people each week through on-air and
online content. Bringing diverse viewpoints to television and the Internet, PBS
provides high-quality documentary and dramatic entertainment, and consistently
dominates the most prestigious award competitions. PBS is a leading provider of
digital learning content for pre-K-12 educators, and offers a broad array of
other educational services. More information about PBS is available at
www.pbs.org, one of the leading dot-org Web sites on the Internet.