[78-L] The new Boswell Sisters Collection on Storyville - Someone really dropped the ball on this!

Steve Ramm steveramm78l at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 16 18:35:57 PDT 2011

I got my copy yesterday and the rumors I heard about the quality are - indeed - true.

This is a reissue of a set they released years ago on their Nostalgia Arts label. But instead of making it better they made it MUCH worse! The five Cds are poorly transferred (from the high quality of the NA set), the packaging - made in China, not Denmark as other Storyville - is so bad that glue from the 5th Cd sleeve leaked on to the CD and my copy was unplayable. Then there is the DVD which was to make this package special. The DVD sleeve shows SEVEN video clips totaling 47 minutes. But the DVD contains only THREE clips of poor quality totaling only SEVEN minutes! And the liner note booklet which David Mccain - a Boswell Sisters expert - wrote for the NA set - is reproduced in print so small a magnifying glass is needed.

I knew Karl Knudsen (the late founder of Storyville) and if he know of the embarrassing quality of this set, he'd be very disappointed. It's an important set and I can only hope that someone at Storyville recalls these sets and issues them in at least the quality of the previous set. I - for one - was really looking forward to its release.

Steve Ramm