[78-L] Messiah..sources

Philip Carli Philip_Carli at pittsford.monroe.edu
Mon Aug 15 13:56:59 PDT 2011

Although Handel borrowed from other composers' works pretty freely at times, I'm fairly sure _Messiah_ is all Handel's own, though it is possible he reworked some of his own earlier music for it; he wrote it very quickly.  I'd have to look for a recent study to make sure, but the old W. G. Cusins monograph didn't cite any extraneous sources.  PC