[78-L] Does this episode of Hoarders apply to you?

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Tue Aug 2 19:31:58 PDT 2011

On 8/2/2011 10:24 PM, Mark Bardenwerper wrote:
> On 8/1/2011 9:45, Robert M. Bratcher Jr. wrote:
>> I began taping sometime in the early 80's myself. Didn't keep everything but did wind up with a lot of movies from TCM, AMC (before they started running commercials) and a few other cable channels. Some of my old VHS tapes are classical music broadcasts from PBS&   others are copies of classical VHS tapes I borrowed from the library. I remember having to buy those 3 hour BASF tapes for the 4th Of July show that A&E used to run every year. Thankfully the local Pops Goes The 4th that local Ch 26 ran for awhile only needed a 2 hour tape. Haven't watched any of those in years but I'll still keep them. I did play a PBS classical recording that had Beethoven's 7th symphony on it a few days ago though. It was good. Tried taping at LP speed a few times. It didn't look as good as SP and EP speed looked even worse so all the recordings I kept were done at SP.
>>

> Most all of my old VCR tapes had to be tossed because of deterioration.
> If yours are nearing 10 year old, you will likely find many of them
> unplayable.

Where were you storing yours? I've had very few VHS tapes go bad in 29 years,
with these exceptions..one or two off brand tapes bought in the early days when
full price tapes were around $20 a pop, and one Scotch (it figures) in the
early 90s when a lot of audiotape was also starting to exhibit sticky shed
syndrome. And some longer BASF tapes had curling problems.