[78-L] ^Hays Office query off topic

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com
Tue Aug 2 17:50:08 PDT 2011

On 8/2/2011 6:51 PM, Michael Biel wrote:

> Hays retired in 1945, so when he died is moot.  However, he was
> succeeded by Eric Johnston who himself died in 1963, leaving the office
> vacant until Jack Valenti took over in May 1966.  But I am not sure that
> the bed rule had not been relaxed by then anyway.  It was no longer the
> 1930s.  The rule was still in force on TV but even by then it probably
> was becoming looser.

On radio, stations had been complaining to the FCC from the mid-1930s
onward to loosen the rules that forbade even mild oaths like "damn"  As
for the movies, little by little, similar battles were waged-- there was
the famous fight over Jane Russell's cleavage in "The Outlaw," circa
1943, for example.  There were also assorted "B" movies that showed
(alleged) drug use and assorted examples of debauchery in the early
1950s-- their producers defended them as educational-- they were
supposed to warn impressionable youth about the dangers of drugs.

The Hays Office (later run by arch-conservative Joseph Breen) was at the
height of power in the 30s and even the 40s, spurred on by the Catholic
Church, which put the Legion of Decency in place to exert pressure on
movies (and sometimes radio shows) considered indecent. But after the
Howard Hughes controversy in 1943, I think it was the film "The Moon is
Blue" in 1953 that was the defining moment for when the line began to
really move and the censors began losing their grip on movie morality.