[78-L] Solitaire and Cameo records

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun Jul 31 19:55:47 PDT 2011

Once in a while I do a search to see if anybody has posted anything about the
Solitaire and Cameo labels, which were the cheapest of the cheapos, putting out
stolen classical recordings (from CBC broadcasts, according to the late Robert
Angus), reissues from many small 40s labels like ARA, Black and White,
Universal, things taken off radio transcriptions and who knows what else. And
they were active in the "4 Top Pops" extended play 78 field and covers of pop
hits on lps through the mid 50s. Finally, something..which turns out to be Matt
Monro's first recording, and with an English connection.
http://www.mattmonro.com/Spotlight_Strange%20Lady.html

Who was Manny Kopelman? (And why was he saying such terrible things about me?
You knew that was coming.) The label also did some original Canadian recordings
and had covers done for the Quebec market. Quality did most of the pressing
here, although not to be outdone, they had some other multi-track labels that
might not have been part of Solitaire/Cameo with Canadian artists like Wally
Koster, Joan Fairfax and Denny Vaughan.