[78-L] Columbia, milestones, tombstones etc. was Re: 78-L Digest, Vol 34, Issue 35

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Jul 30 20:13:06 PDT 2011

Back to this "what was new to lp" thread..I've found another one. CL 6026,
Woody Herman's Sequence in Jazz set, includes BACK TALK which was recorded in
1946 but was NEVER on 78.

Wait a minute..that whole lp might have been new, since Summer Sequence and
Lady McGowan's Sour Cream and Everywhere aren't in the 1949 78rpm catalog
(cutoff July 1948).

(What's the layout of SEQUENCE IN JAZZ on US 78s? The Canadian issue is weird,
with Summer Sequence and Lady McGowan in drop auto sequence on 3 discs, and a
4th disc labelled sides 7 & 8 containing Bijou and Apple Honey. First
auto/manual mix I've ever run across, other than some sets that mixed ten and
twelve-inch discs.)